2012年4月13日星期五

Fear - Page 2

[:1]I had fear when I played D1. Why? I was around 10 years old and Doom made me jump. I don't expect much fear when playing games these days. Maybe the rare spook, but that's about it.|||The last game to give me anything close to a scare was doom3's bathroom mirror effect. And only because I wasn't expecting it(cheap scare).

I think that the idea of fear or nervousness being a part of the gameplay would depend entirely upon the individual playing it. I certainly didn't feel nervous or scared playing even D1 but I can honestly say I was immersed in the atmosphere of the game. I enjoyed it for what it was.

I'm all for atmosphere, but fear is not something I believe I will find from the Diablo series at this point in my life. Whether others do or not is up to them.|||I'd really hate seeing stygian dolls or glooms in Diablo 3. Yes, I'd like it to be hard, but not that way. They're both just annoying, and too much 1/0 - you get hit, you could just die there. I don't think fear of getting instantly killed is good kind of fear. Walking carefully just not to get fried isn't fun, I want to run.

I agree with previous post(s), getting any fear in D3 is hardly possible. Diablo is about killing monsters, some empty-seeming haunted place wouldn't really work. You always know, that whatever comes, it's very possible to kill. And they come in hordes, it's bit numbing.

Invisible monsters might be cool, though. At least when first not seeing them. After that they're an annoyance if anything. Nuking a room that could contain invisible things shouldn't be that hard anyway |||D3 will differ from D2 because the lands are supposedly healed from the past damages but yet something evil is growing within the lands. And what is that mysterious meteor?

That is "scary" in a way because you do not know what is going on and you need to find the source of evil. Sounds familiar? Scenario is somewhat similar to D1.

In D2 you already know what the Evils are laying siege to the lands.|||I are wants moar fears.|||This has been an issue of debate since the earliest days of D3. Before then actually, since we used to talk about it during D2, in terms of what we missed from D1. I made it #1 in a Decahedron from 2003.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...etter-than-d2/

The atmosphere of D3 is very creepy and horrific, at least early on. See the comments on new Tristram as seen in Blizzcon 2008, in the wiki article.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Horror

The whole horror issue was also gone over in a column from 2009, and it and the feedback are good reads.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...rror-elements/

There's no consensus from the comments, but a big factor that made D1 scary was the difficulty. Any 2 or 3 melee that surrounded you would probably stun lock and kill you, lots of monsters were dangerous from a distance, the dungeons were smaller and more claustrophobic, you couldn't run to escape, you couldn't cast teleport when you were getting hit, there weren't melee skills that hit multiple targets, etc.

None of those factors have anything to do with atmosphere or horror; they're about gameplay. D2 could have had the spookiest environments imaginable, and as long as players could just run away from all the enemies, it wouldn't have felt scary.

To achieve a really moody, creepy vibe, D3 needs to combine gameplay with atmosphere and level design. So far, the devs are saying the right things about that, but I don't think players would accept the characters feeling so fragile and endangered as the D1 chars did. Games have gotten easier and more casual (at least to survive at, if not necessarily to master) than they used to be, and fast, fun gameplay doesn't really mesh with "you can die at any second if you're careless," as D1 was.

Another issue is Hardcore. HC D2 was very scary, especially in the early versions when ESFE, MSLE, fetish dolls, Diablo's pink lightning, Nihlathak's CE, and other enemies could and did kill you in a blink, sometimes from all the way across the screen. Things that were just annoying or seemed buggy for softcore players were nightmarish menaces in HC.

没有评论:

发表评论