2012年4月13日星期五

Do flintlock type guns have a place in Diablo? - Page 3

[:1]Quote:








Necromancer will not be in Diablo 3. Please don't resurrect old, horrible threads.




I'm not the one who resurrected it .. i just found it active and realized i had more input to add into the subject.




Quote:








Knight_Wolf, I'm disappointed in you. Guns? Seriously!? It would kill the style.




Like i always say .. everything changes .. there is no holy or divine reason why Diablo can't shift it's style, change and grow into something that's not 100% identical to the previous games.


Quote:








Guns are a pretty big shift. It automatically implies that the world is closer to ours, which is not what Diablo is about at all.




Big shift ... Not at all ... hand held cannons are pretty damn old .. and many fantasy games/stories incorporate technology while giving it a medieval or ancient flavor .. that's called creativity and innovation .... but even that won't be needed cause there are already gun-cannons that fit the world of diablo perfectly.

Not to mention .. invention of gun powder was already hinted in D2:LOD 20 years before D3 .. what to do about that .. re-release D2:LOD and remove that part of the LORE or what !!!?



Long story short .. if Gun-cannons where given a visual look/style that is ornamented and fits with the world around them and were incorporated to fill in the niche of slow ranged high damage weapons it's actually going to beenfit Diablo 3 greatly not the other way around.


Quote:








I mean, try to imagine a Witch Doctor, or a Wizard, or a Barbarian wielding a gun. It's just not right.




Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it can't be made (what creativity is for then !!?) .. guns could me made to fit any era (from prehistoric times to the future), place or even dimension if done right



I have no trouble at all seeing a barbarian holding one of those ornamented ancient looking gun-cannons and using it in combat.|||I really don't see the point of guns. The reloading mechanism would be slow, and theres no way you can make it go faster unlike bows, which you can just draw faster. So ya, with all the magic in the Diablo universe, a gun would only be good for say, a militia or a common person, and not one of our heroes with crazy strength/speed/magic/skillz.|||even though there wo�nt be any guns, Larzuk kinda invented them, go gossip with Qual�kekh and see for ursleves|||Quote:








I really don't see the point of guns. The reloading mechanism would be slow, and theres no way you can make it go faster unlike bows, which you can just draw faster.




Draw faster !!! ... What ? .. its a game not real life .. there could be a way to customize and to make gun-cannons fire faster as a part of the expected crafting system in the game.

Besides .. who said you can make even a normal Crossbow (like the ones from D2) fire faster in real life ... it works with a trigger just like guns !!!!



And for the third time Guns are needed cause they fill a niche that isn't filled by any of the weapons in the game .. slow, long range high damage weapons (which crossbosws tried to fill but failed cause they were not really viable .. maybe except the very rare high-end versions)






Quote:








So ya, with all the magic in the Diablo universe, a gun would only be good for say, a militia or a common person




Same go be said about all the typical weapons in Daiblo .. if magic is the excuse then there is no need for bows, crossbows or even swords if magic is that effective ... not really an argument at all.

Gun-cannons in D3 can be like other weapons too .. their shells can be enchanted with poison, electricity, fire or even ice and arcane.

And like i said .. gameplay wise powerful ranged weapons allows fro more varied builds that depend on defensive skills and passives and invest very little in other offensive or active skills.




Quote:








and not one of our heroes with crazy strength/speed/magic/skillz.




That's really a misconception ... if they are really supehuman why even use any sort weapons and armor ... this logic just doesn't add up.|||Quote:




Like i always say .. everything changes .. there is no holy or divine reason why Diablo can't shift it's style, change and grow into something that's not 100% identical to the previous games.




you�re right, there�s no divine power stopping it from shifting, but god damn, if there will be guns i shall call upon the heavens to smite thee who suggested them...!!!|||Quote:








you�re right, there�s no divine power stopping it from shifting, but god damn, if there will be guns i shall call upon the heavens to smite thee who suggested them...!!!




Lols ... Now i understand the feelings of those who were accused of heresy and evil because they suggested something new or different or even hinted at changing something people take for granted .. it seems some things never change. |||Quote:








<picture of ornamental cannons>

I have no trouble at all seeing a barbarian holding one of those ornamented ancient looking gun-cannons and using it in combat.




Okay, something like those I could see happening.|||But it'd be much simpler for one to simply haste oneself and just shoot faster than to make all the parts of a gun go faster. That being said, it could be possible like you said. Addressing the point of the heroes being stronger, the barbarian has been a warrior for his whole life, the witch doctor probably had intensive training and some kind of rite of passage test, and the wizard is wily enough to defeat an archmage. I think they,re stronger than your average warrior. I would rather guns not be put in, asI dont think our heroes really need a gun, however mercs and random helpers could use some. That's just my personal view though.|||I don't like the idea of guns, and it's a bit anachronistic. It would be about 300-400 years too advanced? Then again, a lot of the so called 'medieval' weaponry in Diablo is probably too advanced. I think the advent of full plate armour was much later than the time period that Diablo reflects. So the musket/flintlock guns that are being talked about aren't that unreasonable.

And remember the Assassin from Diablo 2? Weren't her traps all based around magical/technological gadgets and the like?

God how I hated those traps, that part was a total failure...|||Knight-wolf you seem to be 'sticking to your guns' on this one if you pardon the pun and I've enjoyed reading you essay on the subject.

In my original post I was not aware that my homework would be marked so harshly so I'd like to put a few points across.

I was not presenting an argument at the G20 summit I was simply expressing my opinion. I was quite affronted by your comment 'Who are you to decide....'. I'd like to say that I am a guy who will buy this game and that entitles me to give an opinion and have that opinion respected.

To look at your arguments for gun culture in D3 I have a few questions.

Do we really need slower, high damage weapons? I agree that xbows tried and failed to fill this gap but does it really need filling? Personally I prefer speed over power but each to their own.

Variety? - Not sold on this one. Again personal preference. I feel that D2 has a fair variety of weapons and don't think that adding guns would really enhance this for me.

Creative class builds. - I am struggling to see which class of character could use it. You have hinted at the Barb but that does not work for me. The traditional Barb is a melee fighter, swords, axes, maces etc not a ranged attacker. I dont want to change this in D3 and can't see a Wizard or WD suiting the weapon you pictured. Maybe it will fit better with one of the unknown classes, who knows

Fits the Lore - Just because black powder was hinted at in D2 doesn't make it a good idea.

As for 'come back when you have a decent argument' I feel that was bit harsh. I expressed an opinion, nothing more. You disagreed. Fair enough but there was no need for such a cheap shot.

I'll elabotrate on my 'Please no guns' comment. It wasn't an argument it was a statement. To explain it further I love Diablo, I have played for years and love the game style, content, lore, skills, items, you name it. Guns for me would not fit the classic genre. They would not enhance my gaming experience. (When I want to shoot something I play Halo, COD, GOW etc).

A previous post said that the inclusion of guns would bring Diablo closer to our world. I don't want it closer to our world. I want it just where it is.

没有评论:

发表评论